Friday, October 2, 2009

A quote worth pondering...

“When I stopped seeing my mother with the eyes of a child, I saw the woman who helped me give birth to myself.” -Nancy Friday

I came across this quote the other day and it blew me away. That’s probably because 17 months into my own journey as a mom, I’ve realized just how much I’ve come to reflect on my relationship with my own mother. Judgments have given way (most of the time) to understanding. I’ve begun to view the complicated layers of our relationship with a softer heart. I understand through a new lens that we are all simply doing our best. Once we become mothers ourselves, we inevitably open our eyes to seeing the women who birthed us in a new light, and in turn, experience ourselves differently, too.

I’m curious: what is your response to this quote? How has your relationship with your mother, or view of your mother, changed since bringing a child into the world yourself? Perhaps your relationship has become even more complicated, or perhaps it has experienced a renewed sense of affection and loyalty. Either way, I’d love to hear your thoughts!

Love,
Alisa, Sarah & the women of Blooma

No comments: