Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Blooma Birth Story: Gretta


Thanks to Gretta for sharing the story of her inspiring August VBAC at Methodist Hospital. She shares her experience below in a letter to Sarah Longacre, Blooma owner and prenatal yoga teacher. Welcome to the world little Lydia, and well done, mama!


Love,

Alisa & the women of Blooma

__


Sarah,


I wanted to share our VBAC story with you as I credit a lot of our success to our time at Blooma. Thank you so much for the yoga, tips, advice, and workshops you provide.


Monday night I was three days past my due date and started to have contractions that lasted through the next day. I had them about 20 minutes apart and they stopped around 2:30 p.m. So, I decided to kick it in gear with one last (hopefully) yoga session before she was born.


That night I started contractions again at around 9 p.m. and they quickly intensified. By 11:30 p.m. they were 3 and a half minutes apart and we were calling my sister to come over to watch our 2 year old. We reached Methodist hospital at 1:20 a.m and I was 6 cm dilated!!


By the time we got checked in and up to get an epidural I was at 8 cm! Before we knew it I was completely dilated and decided to get some rest while my body did some work with the contractions. I ended up learning through our doctor that my pelvis is small and tilted which probably caused our son, Walter, to be sunny side up and that this little one was presenting herself the same way. I was told that this could be a good thing, as this may be how she has to come in order to get around my pelvis!!! Great news as we were told that Walter wouldn't make it because of his presentation.


What a difference a positive doctor makes!!!! We were encouraged to make it this time and told of all our options. He did say another C-section was possible, but he also told me what I had to do to make this a VBAC. He was very encouraging and gave me the extra push by saying I could do it and it was possible.


So, at 9:45 a.m. Lydia Anne was born. She was four days past her due date and weighed 6 lbs. 5 oz. and was 20 1/2 inches long. I kept saying "We did it! We did it! We did it!" while she rested on my chest.


I never felt like more of a "Goddess," as you would say in our classes, and never more powerful in my life. It was the biggest personal accomplishment I could have made. After the whole experience, I truly believe that God made Lydia the size she needed to be and the presentation she needed to be in in order to make it into the world! I also am very grateful to my doctor for his support with my VBAC.


After Lydia was born I told my husband that I think your yoga classes are what really inspired me to have a successful VBAC. I have never felt more engaged with my body than when I was in your classes. Thank you so much for your compassion for pregnant women. You are very talented at what you do. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!


-Gretta


No comments: